Head of Middle School
Start Date: July 1, 2023
Coed Day School Grades Pre-K – 12
1785 Bishop White Drive Newtown Square, PA
About the School
The Episcopal Academy (Episcopal) is a PreK-12 co-educational, independent day school located in suburban Philadelphia. Since its founding in 1785, Episcopal has dedicated itself to educating the whole student in mind, body, and spirit. That simple, yet powerful, approach has resulted in Episcopal being widely recognized as one of the finest independent schools in the nation, graduating students exceedingly well prepared for their next steps in life. Episcopal is well known for its academic excellence, competitive athletics, vibrant arts programming, as well as holistic character and leadership development. Episcopal is guided by its motto, Esse Quam Videri (“To Be, Rather Than To Seem To Be”). Today, more than 1,250 students are enrolled at the school.
Episcopal’s campus boasts state-of-the-art facilities and generous green space on 123 picturesque acres in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania. Highlights include: ten science labs, two theaters, two arts studios, band and choral rooms, music technology studio, dance studio, nine athletics fields, six-lane pool, competition gym, and 18,000 square foot fieldhouse.
About the Position
The Head of Middle School is the academic and administrative leader of the 280-student middle division (grades 6 through 8) and is charged with leading a 60-member faculty of committed middle-school educators and to fostering teaching excellence, collaboration, and pedagogical growth. Reporting to the Head of School, he or she works closely with students, faculty, and families to support and develop rich academic and co-curricular Middle School programs.
The ideal candidate for Head of Middle School at The Episcopal Academy will have…
- A strong affection for middle school students based on a deep understanding of their unique characteristics.
- The capacity to act as an educational leader who shares expertise in curriculum and classroom pedagogies.
- Strong commitment to and demonstrated skills in DEI and cultural competency.
- Demonstrated success using clear communication to build and maintain healthy relationships, specifically:
- With teachers: Experience cultivating a culture of support, high standards, and candor.
- With parents: An understanding of how to build authentic, student-centered home-school partnerships while upholding school rules and community norms.
- The ability to ensure that Middle School operations are running smoothly and efficiently, and that all aspects of the school are continuously improving.
- Commitment to full, enthusiastic, visible engagement with the wide range of programs that make up a life at an active, vibrant school.
- A track record of accessible, positive, and collaborative leadership.
Desired Employee Attributes
An Episcopal employee is…
- Student-centered, embraces school and life and shows it through actions and interactions with students, colleagues, and parents.
- Embodies and lives The Stripes.
- Consistently maintains high standards for his or her own work and motivates others to achieve the same standard of excellence.
- Demonstrates a desire and willingness to constantly grow and learn, both personally and professionally, and sees others – especially students – as having the ability to learn and reach success.
- Fosters a positive culture by being optimistic, selfless, flexible, and collaborative.
- Demonstrates a belief in and commitment to fostering an inclusive and diverse school community.
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the materials listed below:
- Letter of Interest
- Statement of educational leadership philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)
Listing Date: June 8, 2022