About the School
Founded in 1784 by Sarah Derby as one of the earliest coeducational schools in the country and the oldest co-educational independent school in New England, Derby continues to focus on the ideas of community, generosity, and the vision of providing children with the best education available.
The vision of Sarah Derby has impacted countless generations of families. Now in its third century of leadership, Derby remains true to its motto: “Improve Both Mind and Heart.” Dedicated faculty, innovative curriculum, and an array of community and leadership opportunities continue to ensure children are supported in their academic and social development, enabling students to become lifelong learners and successful members of their community.
Derby Academy at a glance:
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following:
- 350 students from PK-8
- Average Class Size: 15 students
- Student-Teacher Ratio: 6:1
- Faculty with Advanced Degrees: 35
- Tuition for 20-21: K – $26,910 – 8th Grade – $37,675
- Annual Operating Budget: $11.5 million
- Financial Aid: $1.1 million
- Financial Aid awarded to 12% of student body
- Endowment: $15 million
About the Position
The Director of Development reports directly to the Head of School and collaborates with the senior leadership team and the Board of Trustees. Primary responsibilities include oversight and management of the annual giving, major gifts, special events, grants, capital campaign, alumni affairs and advancement communications. As the leader of the Development Team, the Director of Development evaluates, mentors and supervises the 3 members of the team, and personally cultivates annual giving and major gifts. This job is successfully accomplished through direct efforts to leverage the skills and volunteer contributions of Derby Academy parents, alumni, trustees, and members of the administrative and development teams.
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the materials listed below by January 20, 2022.
- EC Candidate Summary Sheet
- Letter of Interest
- Statement of educational leadership philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)