About the School
Founded in 1907, Castilleja School is a 6-12 all-girls’ independent day school in Palo Alto, California with a diverse enrollment of 422 students, an annual operating budget of $30 million and an endowment of $75 million. Castilleja’s mission to “educate motivated young women to become confident thinkers and compassionate leaders with a sense of purpose to effect change in the world” guides the programs and the strategic direction of the school. Castilleja has a long-standing commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and the school’s reputation as one of the finest independent schools in California is universally respected and appreciated.
About the Position
The Director of Finance and Operations reports directly to the Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations, manages all accounting, audit, and budgeting as well as overseeing tuition and cash management and supervises two direct reports. This position is critical to providing the Finance and Audit Committees of the Board of Trustees with accurate and timely financial and accounting information, financial strategy suggestions, key finance-related operations oversight, and the provision of timely information necessary to meet financial short- and long-range goals, objectives and plans. This position is also responsible for general ledger management including performing the monthly close and manages two direct reports.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Oversee a strong internal control structure as it relates to the policies, procedures and documentation of all accounting and financial reporting activities.
- Make recommendations to the Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations for process improvement.
- Manage general ledger accuracy, cash flow projections and the full calendar of accounting-related activities.
- Oversee all cash receipts and payments, payroll, company credit cards, banking and investment accounts.
- Work closely with Advancement to maintain a financial system that properly recognizes gifts and monitors that gifts are released according to donor imposed restrictions.
- Be responsible for the financial analysis and documentation in support of the monthly financial statements, statement of activities, annual budgets and budget adjustments with strategic financial planning projections.
- Prepare and monitor departmental budgets and forecasts. Generate monthly budget reports and communicate with key budget managers.
- Facilitate a timely monthly close, review and prepare financial reports ensuring budget variances are properly investigated.
- Serve as expert on generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), from the proper recording of transactions to the preparation of the annual financial statements with accompanying footnotes.
- Ensure proper reporting of the investment accounts.
- Ensure accounting systems and processes that support proper, timely, and accurate management and financial reporting to employees, administrators, Finance Committee, Board of Directors, and community.
- Prepare fiscal year-end financial statements in accordance with all accounting rules and regulations and oversee the audit process, working closely with the school’s independent auditing firm, including preparation of audit worksheets and PBC’s at the request of the auditors.
- Prepare financial statements and footnotes for the audit
- Prepare the form 990 after the audit is complete
- Manage the annual audit of the 5500 for the 403(b) plan
- Prepare presentations for the Finance and Audit Committee meetings.
- Oversee and analyze the endowment portfolio on a quarterly basis to ensure all endowment funds are properly accounted for and donor restrictions are adhered to.
- Analyze, reconcile and record all development transactions for pledges, contributions and other types of giving on a monthly basis to the general ledger.
- Partner with Castilleja’s parent association on budget and spending.
- Manage the affairs of the Castilleja investment company including distribution of the k1 and unaudited financial statements.
- Review contracts and agreements as requested.
- Perform risk management function for the school by being a liaison with the Insurance brokers and reviewing policies for coverage.
- Fill out surveys for various organizations to help with benchmarking exercises.
- Attend all committee meetings. Skills And Abilities • Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate widely with various constituencies throughout the School’s community including students, faculty, staff, parents and trustee members.
- Strong systems and strategic thinking capabilities; identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Ability to display the highest level of moral and ethical conduct.
- Meticulous attention to detail; continually looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans; ability to multitask and handle multiple projects, work quickly and with accuracy while maintaining composure and flexibility.
- Extensive knowledge of MS Office; spreadsheets; and Blackbaud Accounting Systems.
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate would have ten years of progressive accounting and financial management leadership experience with the most current years being in a position with managerial responsibility for both accounting and finance. Five most recent years with managerial responsibility for accounting and finance operations. MBA or CPA preferred.
The successful candidate will have an extensive background in finance and accounting, strong organizational skills, excellent communication and presentation skills, and a demonstrated ability as an effective supervisor and collaborative team member.
How to Apply
Listing Date: November 19, 2021
EXPERTS IN SEARCH, TRANSITION & STRATEGY