The intent and purpose of Carrabassett Valley Academy is to foster focused individual student-athlete development by providing the optimum balance between outstanding college preparatory academics, responsible community living, and world-class athletic training in competitive skiing and snowboarding.
Dual Levels of Excellence
CVA offers an academically rigorous college preparatory program in tandem with highly competitive winter sports training in skiing and snowboarding, ensuring that students perform at their best in and out of the classroom. Intentionally focused on character development and community responsibility, CVA students embody the school’s values of kindness, respect, commitment, and gratitude. A balanced schedule between academics and athletics, individually tailored and supported, allows students to focus equally on their intellectual and physical pursuits.
A World Class Location
Carrabassett Valley Academy’s campus is located at the base of Sugarloaf Mountain, in a four-season resort community offering skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, golfing, hiking, mountain biking, and other outdoor recreational activities. With Maine’s largest ski resort as their home base, CVA student-athletes have direct access to world-class training venues and a longer at-home training schedule. Situated along the 45th parallel, CVA is the northernmost ski and snowboard academy in the East. The school’s spectacular location offers myriad opportunities for exploration and celebration of the outdoors year round for enthusiasts of all ages.
An Outstanding Leadership Opportunity
The CVA Board of Trustees seeks a leader who enthusiastically embraces and champions the school’s mission of providing college preparatory academics and rigorous athletic programming, while instilling a strong sense of commitment to community. The successful candidate will bring a professional approach distinguished by enthusiasm, resilience, and humility. With experience in an independent school setting, ideal leaders will reflect:
- A commitment to the unique mission of CVA and a community that deeply values authentic relationships and personal connections
- An understanding of the high-level athletic environment in which CVA students compete
- An appreciation of the enduring core values of CVA and the importance of stewarding the school’s mission every day
- Excellent communication skills and a warm, approachable demeanor
- The ability to build relationships quickly in both the internal and external communities
- A roll-up-your-sleeves mindset that fosters collaboration and a shared investment in the school’s success
- A creative and resourceful approach to problem solving that engages others in finding solutions
How to Apply
Please reach out with any questions or to learn more about this opportunity. Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following materials by September 1.
- EC Summary Sheet and Disclosure Statement (Contact Tracy Bennett for these documents)
- Letter of interest addressed to the Search Committee
- Current Resume
- Statement of Educational Leadership Philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (name, relationship to candidate, phone and email addresses)
Candidates are encouraged to reach out to Tracy with questions or for more information.
Application materials should be sent electronically via email to:
Tracy Bennett, Partner, Educators Collaborative
Listing Date: July 11, 2023