Start Date: July 1, 2022
Coed Day School Ages 4-12 with 46 Students
3921 Laurel Canyon Blvd Studio City, CA
Bridges Academy – Los Angeles – Assistant Head of School
About the Position
- All academic, creative and social-emotional programs, and initiatives during both the school year and the summer.
- parent communications and parent education.
- ongoing accreditation processes.
- managing all faculty recruitment and serving on recruitment teams.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Assist the Head of School in all internal matters and external where needed
- Represent the Head of School, when necessary, at meetings and events
- Serve on Board of Trustee Committees at the discretion of the Head
- Ensure that the facilities are safe
- Coordinate the School Calendar
- Contribute to the Newsletter, participate in conferences and panels, and podcasts
Academic Leadership – shared with Division Directors
- Articulate Educational philosophy to faculty and parent and professional communities
- Further develop the professional development program
- Serve as a role model, encourage self-evaluation, professional growth, & scholarship
- Oversee the coordination of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities and programs
- Work collaboratively with division director to solve challenging students and parent issues
- Serve as a consultant to teachers in matters of classroom management and teaching
- In collaboration with Division Heads, supervise, mentor, and counsel new teachers
- Hold regular meetings with the division Directors to identify needs, coordinate projects, manage communications, and celebrate successes
- Provide for the academic guidance of students
- Work with the Associate Head of School in a supportive role in the online space
- Manage onsite program and supervise daily activity (June)
- Develop and review programming
- Work with Associate Head and Seattle Assistant Head to market programs
- Manage academy accreditation in collaboration with administration
Personnel recruitment managements / required training
- Organize and manage hiring process (job descriptions, posting, appointments)
- Participate on teams for interviews regarding academic hiring decisions
- Organize periodic CPR, sexual harassment, and other mandated training
- Students and Parent drop off and pick up greetings
- Liaison and support Parent Association Activity (Meetings and occasional events)
- Support Division Heads with parents’ and students’ behavior management
- Parent Education- Bridges Parent University (BPU), individual and group meeting
Educational Philosophy: It is essential that the Assistant Head have a progressive, constructivist orientation to learning and a Cognitive Behavioral approach. It is also important that the AH be flexible and non-dogmatic. While the Twice-exceptional as a group may respond best to progressive approaches, an individual 2e student may not. Students respond to various approaches, and sometimes they respond to practices in conflict with our personal beliefs about education. Pragmatism prevails.
Leadership in Education: The AH should have leadership experience with line authority in a school setting, managing decision-making of administrative, curricular, and faculty. Positive and effective engagement with highly supportive and engaged parents -and occasionally with very challenging parents- is crucial.
Teaching & Learning: In addition to academic leadership and oversight, a background in the classroom, lesson, and unit planning, advising, and/or counselling is essential. Familiarity with the following theories and practices are also critical: 1) project-based learning. 2) “Big Idea” curricular frameworks, 3) Universal Design Learning and Tomlinson’s differentiation frameworks, 4) Michelle Garcia Winner’s Social Thinking and other SEL frameworks (PEERS, RULER etc.) Training will be provided but should be built on a strong foundation.
Personal Characteristics: The successful candidate will have high energy and enthusiasm for all aspects of school life and demonstrate drive, initiative, and the ability to make tough decisions. He/she/they should be warm with a good sense of humor, be open to human diversity; possess a collaborative mindset and consensus-building skills; have patience and persistence; and excellent oral and written communication skills. The candidate must also have the personality, temperament, skills, and wisdom to “manage up” to effectively work with an involved Head of School and board members and possess the necessary skills, respect, and deference to work effectively with experienced division directors.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest, current resume, personal statement, and list of five (5) references with email addresses and phone numbers to:
Please address any inquiries or expressions of interest to:
Marcus Hurlbut, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC
(email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 949-279-3084)
Listing Date: November 5, 2021