Educators Collaborative is pleased to be assisting Westover School in its search for a one-year Interim Dean of Students for 2022-2023.
About the School
Westover School is an all-girls’ boarding and day school, grades 9-12 where smart, motivated girls become confident, connected women. The School is committed to providing a college preparatory education in a small community atmosphere that emphasizes student-adult interaction. Westover, through program and faculty, endeavors to develop in each student the confidence and strength to shape their own life.
Students are empowered to be themselves, to make their own choices, and to appreciate diversity, resulting in young adults who find lives of purpose and meaning, who understand they can make a difference and who understand the power of relationships.
- Do you find joy and passion in working with adolescents?
- Do you put students at the center of their personal development and planning for the future?
- Does your leadership demonstrate engagement in and a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion?
Westover School is seeking applicants for the full-time, twelve-month position of Interim Dean of Students, beginning July 2022 – June 30, 2023.
About the Position:
The Dean of Students provides both strategic leadership and daily management of all aspects of community life, including residential life, wellness and health services. The Dean reports directly to the Head of School, is a member of the senior administrative team and collaborates with them to maintain a safe and inclusive community, serving as an advocate for the students. Health Center functions, nursing and counseling, report to the Dean and s/he is expected to be an active partner of the COVID coordinator in School operations during this pandemic period.
The Dean is responsible for administering and supervising student-focused events such as opening of school orientations, school traditions (including graduation), assemblies/community time events, and other student life activities as well as the disciplinary process and student handbook. The Dean coordinates training for student leaders and works with the Director of Residential Life to train and support the residential life staff. The Dean coordinates the student advising system. The Dean of Students directs student government organizations, chairs several relevant internal committees: Student Assistance Team (SAT), Student Life Committee (SLC), Student Enrichment/Emergency Fund and serves on other committees whose work affects the quality of student life.
Positions that report to the Dean of Students include: Director of Health Services, Director of Counseling and Student Wellness, the Director of Residential Life and the Learning Center Director.
Westover is seeking a positive, energetic personality who enjoys working with teenagers and has a track record of leadership to direct this important part of School life. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Masters’ degree preferred; advanced degree in counseling or related field a plus;
- At least five years relevant experience in an educational setting;
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting an intentionally equitable and inclusive community and building a student life program that reflects diverse cultures and perspectives;
- Strong interest and commitment to an all-girls educational model;
- At least two years experience in a residential educational setting with a health and mental wellness component;
- Experience in restorative justice practices;
- Experience or strong interest in management and collaboration with Health and Wellness Center clinicians
- Collegial and collaborative management style;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to connect with diverse and wide-ranging constituencies – students, parents, faculty, alumnae, etc.;
- A sense of humor and commitment to building camaraderie with colleagues;
- An appreciation and respect for adolescents.
How To Apply
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following materials:
- EC Candidate Summary Sheet (available through Sally Mixsell – see below)
- Cover letter
- Current Resume
- Statement of educational leadership philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)