St. James’ Episcopal School is a diverse, joyful, and inclusive community of learners. With a focus on academic excellence and attention to the needs of each child, we strive to instill in our students intellectual curiosity, compassion for others, and respect for all of God’s creation.
Paramount to the St. James’ philosophy of teaching and learning is the belief that intelligence is neither a fixed nor an unchanging commodity. St. James’ intentionally expands each child’s capacity for learning in a thoughtfully designed environment where children are not just “taught;” they are encouraged to explore, investigate, work collaboratively, and probe the world around them.
Though best known for its traditional educational approaches, St. James’ also believes that children should have the opportunity to construct meaning as they assimilate knowledge. Rather than merely providing rote learning in their classrooms, teachers are encouraged to stretch the children’s ability to analyze, synthesize, and evaluate what they learn; to apply their learning to new situations; and to present confidently and in a variety of formats what they have learned.
A Thriving Independent School in the Heart of Los Angeles
Spanning two campuses (preschool and elementary), St. James’ is located in the Koreatown section of Los Angeles, one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city. Encompassing roughly three square miles, the area was once the epicenter of Golden Age Hollywood. Today, Korean and Latino populations contribute to Koreatown’s rich cultural diversity. St. James’ embraces the kaleidoscope of cultures that make up Los Angeles. This characteristic makes the school unique among LA–area independent schools. Throughout the school year, St. James’ weaves into the daily lives of its students a wide range of cultural and community events that injects texture and breadth into their school days.
St. James’ is fully enrolled and after graduation its students go on to attend the top independent schools in Los Angeles. The school’s fundraising program is robust and, having recently acquired two lots adjacent to the campus, it is poised to expand its footprint. It is an exciting time to lead this very special school.
An Outstanding Leadership Opportunity
The St. James’ Board of Trustees seeks a leader who enthusiastically embraces and champions the school’s mission of providing a rigorous academic program, while instilling a commitment to ethical behavior and an abiding appreciation for the differences that mark each human being as an individual of inestimable worth and dignity. The successful candidate will bring a professional approach distinguished by enthusiasm, compassion, and humility. With experience in an independent school setting, ideal leaders will reflect:
- A commitment to the mission of St. James’ and a community that deeply values diversity, inclusion, and authentic relationships
- An appreciation of the unique relationship between a parish school and the church and the importance of stewarding this meaningful partnership
- Excellent communication skills and a warm, approachable demeanor
- The ability to build relationships quickly in both the internal and external communities
- The capacity to provide thoughtful leadership in developing the strategic vision of St. James’ that generates excitement and shared investment in the school’s future
How to Apply
Please reach out with any questions or to learn more about this opportunity. Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following materials by November 15.
- EC Summary Sheet and Disclosure Statement (contact Tracy Bennett or George Sanderson for the documents)
- Letter of Interest addressed to the Search Committee
- Current Resume
- Statement of Educational Leadership Philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (name, relationship to candidate, phone and email address)
Application materials should be sent electronically via email to: