About Slingerland® Literacy Institute
The Slingerland® Approach revolutionized literacy instruction in 1960 as the first whole-classroom adaptation of the Orton-Gillingham 1-to-1 approach. The Slingerland® Literacy Institute has been on the leading edge of comprehensive, multi-sensory, structured literacy instruction for over 60 years. Only relatively recently have national educational recommendations for the science of reading caught up to the five pillars of reading that Slingerland had already proven to be effective. And unlike many other literacy programs, the Slingerland® Approach includes a handwriting component – for both manuscript and cursive – that further reinforces kinesthetic pathways for all types of learners. The Slingerland® Approach can be utilized across an entire educational curriculum and is adaptable to the materials used at any school. The Slingerland® Approach is effective for general education classrooms and particularly effective for struggling readers (e.g., dyslexic, ELL or other language barriers).
After decades of growth, the non-profit business model of the Institute struggled to adapt its operations and products to changing instructional delivery models and competition. However, in 2020, SLI transitioned to a strategically smaller and nimble board; created online class delivery options; and moved to a virtual administrative office (online store inventory is housed at a brick-and-mortar facility). SLI forged a new strategic plan, rebranded, and created a new website with a linked learning management system (LMS) for classes and a digital rights management (DRM) platform for selling/sharing its copyrighted resources. SLI is also in the process of updating and digitizing its extensive collection of instructional support materials. SLI has secured grant funding to assist in this process. Slingerland has several revenue streams, including class and certification tuition, online sales of instructional support materials, grants, and philanthropic support.
Slingerland® Literacy Institute promotes excellence in literacy instruction for all.
Slingerland® Literacy Institute will open the world for all learners.
About the Position
Slingerland has a bold vision for the future, an empowering board, and a dedicated base of instructors and teachers across the country. The organization has put the pieces into place to grow its operations and share this effective instructional approach with as many educators as possible. The new ED will be supported by the departing ED for up to 12 months (as needed) on a consultation basis.
Educators Collaborative is pleased to assist the Slingerland® Literacy Institute (SLI) in its search for an Executive Director, to begin as soon as feasible (if possible, by mid to late September 2022). SLI is a non-profit organization based in Bellevue, WA. The Executive Director has a virtual office and reports to the Slingerland Board of Directors.
Who You Are - Skills and Dispositions for the position
- You are committed to the mission of SLI.
- You have, at minimum, a BA in education and training and experience working with O-G based instruction and the use of online learning systems.
- You are resilient, flexible, diplomatic, confident, positive, and patient.
- You can work collaboratively and independently with multiple constituencies.
- You love to innovate, build relationships, and build the organization.
- You adhere to high ethical standards, in line with a non-profit organization.
- You have strong executive functioning capacity and high emotional intelligence.
- Strategic planning and implementation of steps for organizational growth
- Management of non-profit business operations, including finance, 990s, and HR
- Management of web-based platforms
- Building and management of Slingerland classes
- Management of the SLI online store
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Coaching and management of contracted instructors
- Collaboration with the Board of Directors
- Recruitment and training employees accompanying organizational growth
- Ensuring organizational practices comply with regulatory and legal requirements across states where the organization does business
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with members of the Faculty Senate
- Management of marketing, public relations, and fundraising
- Maintaining accreditations and certification programs
- Salary range – Commensurate with salaries for like positions
How to Apply
Educators Collaborative (EC) is assisting in this search. To learn more about
this opportunity and receive a copy of the EC Candidate Summary and
Disclosure Form, which are needed to complete an application, please contact:
Sally Mixsell at email@example.com
– Cover letter addressed to the Slingerland Board
– EC Candidate Summary Sheet (see above)
– Current Resume
– 3-5 refences, including phone and email contact and brief
explanation of connection to the candidate
– A completed EC Disclosure Form (see above)
Application materials and inquiries may be submitted to:
The Slingerland® Literacy Institute values diversity and welcomes the contributions of people from all backgrounds, gender identities, learning styles, physical abilities, and sexual orientations.
Listing Date: August 1, 2022