About the School
Educators Collaborative is pleased to be assisting Newark Charter School, a co-ed Charter School serving grades K-12 in Newark, DE beginning in July 2023.
The mission of NCS is to promote high levels of student effort, achievement and decorum for children in grades K-12 in the Greater Newark community by providing continuous, engaging and rigorous academic challenges grounded in a sequential core of common knowledge, delivered in a community of students, educators and involved parents who value scholarship and appropriate behavior.
In 1999, a group of Newark parents and teachers committed to providing an educational alternative within the public school system established Newark Charter School. In the year 2000, Delaware’s State Board of Education approved the school’s charter. In 2005, the State Board of Education renewed Newark Charter School’s charter for an additional five years and the following year our Board of Directors sought and received a modification allowing the school to expand its grade configuration from grades 5-8 to grades Kindergarten to 8. With this expansion, and the construction of a new three-story elementary school on the campus, our enrollment increased from 648 students to 1,286 students in 2007.
In 2010, the school’s charter was again renewed by the State Board of Education. In 2011, our Board of Directors again requested approval to expand enrollment. In 2012, we received unanimous approval to expand all grades to 190 students and to add a high school. This new school opened in 2013.
In 2022, Newark Charter School received approval to expand to a total enrollment of nearly 3,000 students and opened a new Junior High School servicing students in grades 6, 7 and 8.
About the Position
Reporting directly to the NCS Board of Directors, the Head of School (HOS) serves as the chief executive officer for Newark Charter School. The HOS embodies and articulates the mission for all aspects of the school’s program. In keeping with the school’s mission, the HOS fosters the traditions, relationships, and practices that determine the school’s positive climate and culture.
The HOS provides leadership and direct supervision for the Chief Academic Officer, the Chief Financial Officer and the Chief Operations Officer and indirect supervision of the remainder of the staff. The HOS is responsible to build a unified and solid team environment through support, evaluation, capacity building and talent development of staff directly and indirectly.
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to strengthen and implement Newark Charter School’s mission and core values with an emphasis on strategic planning initiatives, accountability, and academic excellence
- Represent the school to external stakeholders to enhance the school’s mission and public profile, including identifying new partners and deepening relationships with existing partners
- Monitor internal and external developments that could affect the school and proactively prepare accordingly
- Set vision and priorities for parent and family engagement, honoring NCS’s commitment to being a family-centered, community school
- Ensure the school has adequate capital and operational funding by pursuing applicable financial resources including but not limited to public and private funding sources
- Build and support a dynamic leadership team, including directly managing:
- Chief Academic Officer
- Chief Operating Officer
- Chief Financial Office
Qualifications / Requirements / Education:
- Must possess a broad academic background and an advanced degree in education or a related field
- Must possess strong track record of successful experience and achievement commensurate the rank of School Leader, preferably with all grade levels
- Must possess at least five years of leadership and management experience in a school
- Must possess demonstrated experience in successful fundraising (such as grant writing, annual funds, capital campaigns, special events, etc.)
- Must possess demonstrated experience in successfully working with state and regional educational and government and legislative bodies
- Must possess demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with all levels within the organization
- Must be able to develop and coach management at multiple levels of the organization
- Must possess strong working knowledge with basic technology and related applications, such as Microsoft Office suite, automated calling and emailing systems, etc.; experience with state-level financial accounting programs (accounts payable, payroll, etc.) and student databases a plus
How to Apply
Candidates interested in the position should submit the following materials:
- EC Candidate Summary Sheet (contact André Withers for this document)
- Letter of interest addressed to the Search Committee
- Current Resume
- Statement of leadership philosophy
- A list of five references with e-mail address and telephone contact information
- EC Disclosure Form (contact André Withers for this document)