Allendale Columbia (AC) is a thriving, diverse community of learners who engage locally and internationally to create opportunities to design, imagine, learn, and make a positive impact. Serving over 385 students in Little School through Grade twelve, AC seeks an experienced, dynamic educator and a curious learner to join a team of professionals responsible for innovative, authentic, and student-centered programming. Reporting directly to the Head of School, and a vital member of the school’s Leadership Team, the Head of Lower School is responsible for leading, inspiring, supporting, and hiring a talented team of approximately 40 faculty and staff. The Head of Lower School is also responsible for creating a culture of collaboration and kindness for our Little, Pre-Primary, and Lower School students and their families to enjoy.
About the Position
A successful new Head of Lower School at AC will be:
- A community builder who can create a clear vision and forward-thinking direction for the Lower School based on a thorough knowledge of best practices, a growth mindset, strategic thinking, and high energy;
- A warm, compassionate, and thoughtful leader who puts students at the center of every decision;
- A leader with a track record of fostering a happy and thriving Lower School environment;
- An engaging, calm, visible, and inspiring leader;
- An excellent communicator, in all forms, both with students and adults;
- An educator dedicated to creating and embracing meaningful connections with parents;
- A leader who demonstrates the ability to think and act strategically in equal parts;
- An educator who demonstrates a sense of humor; and
- An advocate for the Lower School while working collaboratively with the school’s Leadership Team to establish and execute broader institutional goals.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Developing, upholding, and advancing an affirming, inclusive climate in the lower school that prizes justice, equity, and diversity
- Managing a faculty/staff of 40, including Director of Little School and Pre-Primary, Lower School Dean of Students, teachers and specialists
- Oversight of the Allendale Columbia wrap-around care program, Rainbow Room
- Preparing a master daily schedule and assigning teachers and students to classes and other duties
- Designing and facilitating professional development for Lower School faculty in conjunction with the Director of Curriculum and Innovation
- Supervising, supporting, and evaluating faculty in the development and implementation of curriculum; reviewing and evaluating the Lower School academic program
- Conducting regular meetings with faculty to collaborate, including monthly division meetings
- Overseeing the coordination of the programs of the Lower School; assisting in the planning and the presentation of school assemblies, programs, and informing the entire school community of Lower School programs and activities
- Administering and management of the Lower School budget
- Participation in the admissions process in conjunction with the Director of Enrollment
The ideal candidate will:
- Have at least 5 years of experience working with Pre-Primary and Lower School students (ages 3-12), preferably in a leadership role.
- Have a master’s degree or higher in elementary education or school leadership.
- Be a natural leader and self-starter, and thrive in a creative role that has room to be defined by the person filling it.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit electronically, the following materials:
- Formal cover letter of application stating desire to apply
- Current résumé
- Statement of leadership philosophy
- At least three references, including name, title, relationship with candidate, phone number, and email address for each.
Allendale Columbia School, as an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in its hiring of employees on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, national origin, citizenship, marital or veteran status, age or disability. We actively seek diversity among faculty and administration as well as among students.
Now well into its second century, Allendale Columbia is a leading independent co-ed college prep school for students in nursery through grade 12. Here, learning goes far beyond books and tests. We have the freedom to dig deeper so students can question more, discuss, debate, and question again. As a result, our students develop critical thinking skills and become effective problem solvers. Our faculty members use their independence and experience to connect knowledge to real life so our students can make more sense of the world–and their place in it. It all adds up to a different school of thought: high expectations and relevant experiences that prepare students to succeed in a global community.
Listing Date: November 28, 2022