Do you want to use your financial expertise to help serve a progressive, mission-centered independent school located in the heart of Philadelphia? If so, the Philadelphia School’s opportunity to become its next Director of Finance may be just the opportunity you are looking for.
A leader in progressive education for children from preschool through grade 8 for over 50 years, The Philadelphia School (“TPS”) has a distinct culture that starts with its location in the center of Philadelphia. TPS embraces “place based learning” and as such takes full advantage of its urban environment by using locations throughout the city and country as extended classrooms. TPS believes that “place” serves as an additional teacher for students, allowing them to explore and use real world experiences to deepen their learning. Through experiential learning in and around Philadelphia, students become successful and engaged citizens who advocate for themselves, for others – and for a just and equitable world.
The school’s 406 students come to TPS from throughout the Philadelphia area. TPS has been purposeful in creating an educational experience that starts in preschool and ends in eighth grade, where it graduates confident and self-aware leaders. All the while, TPS students feel completely comfortable just being children because of the school’s singular focus on the PS-8 community.
About the Position
The Director of Finance is responsible for oversight and management of the school’s finances and operations and ensuring the school’s financial and operational strength. The position requires a strategic, proactive, and relational approach to one’s responsibilities. The Director will oversee the Controller and Finance Associates to administer audited financials, budgets, billing, collections, disbursements, and financial aid. In addition, the Director will oversee the Human Resources Generalist to administer payroll, benefits, and employee support and evaluation.
The next Director of Finance will:
- Embrace problem solving and demonstrate a growth mindset.
- Effectively manage a team based on mutual respect, open. communication, and clear expectations.
- Think strategically and execute tactically, in entrepreneurial fashion
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting; CPA or Masters in Accounting designation preferred.
- Have 10+ years of experience in Finance Administration.
- Have a strong understanding of financial systems and controls, GAAP, budgeting, and capital management, and plant management.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically and creatively.
- Have a proven success in a senior administrative role.
- Be able to work collaboratively with other school community members.
- Have outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to effectively tell the story of TPS and demonstrate the values of the school.
- Have proficient knowledge of a variety of MAC/PC computer software applications including word processing (preferably MS Word), spreadsheets (preferably MS Excel), database, and presentation software.
- Preferably, have working knowledge of independent school operations.
- Have working knowledge of financial sustainability best practices, and trends in independent school finance and operations.
- Display personal qualities such as diplomacy, tact, discretion, flexibility, resourcefulness and dependability.
- Be well-organized, friendly, emotionally mature, punctual, and professional.
- Have the ability to work effectively with multiple supervisors, balance and prioritize multiple requests.
- Be able to complete assigned project tasks on time and with minimal supervision.
Application Materials Requested
Please contact George Sanderson with any questions or to learn more about this opportunity in confidence. Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following materials by February 28.
- EC Summary Sheet and Disclosure Statement (contact George Sanderson for the documents)
- Letter of Interest in the position addressed to the Head of School
- Current Resume
- A list of five or more references with contact information (name, relationship to candidate, phone, and email address). References will not be contacted by EC without the candidate’s prior permission
Application materials should be sent electronically via email to: